POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Problem concerning the use of array indices inside functions : Re: Problem concerning the use of array indices inside functions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem concerning the use of array indices inside functions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 May 2003 15:30:16
Message: <3EB6BBC7.9F35BA4A@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> > Because I need a high order interpolation and I don't want to throw away
> > months of work, I've decided to build a binary tree of function that contain
> > all the array values. I estimate that it will come to around 40 thousand
> > rather small functions.
>
> Write the numbers to a PPM image.  Use multiple pixels, i.e. four pixels to
> store numbers.  Then write a single function to build a number out of it
> from a pattern.  Load the image as pattern and apply the function.  Now you
> have an array, and it will be really fast and consume very little memory!

Since the whole thing seems to be about 3D arrays it will probably be more
convenient to use df3 density files.  I know - they are binary in official
POV but Ryoichi Suzuki's density_file extension patch adds support for
ascii files:

http://staff.aist.go.jp/r-suzuki/e/povray/iso/df_body.htm

Christoph